Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Fix the Schools; Fix the World - Back Story



     I believe very strongly that things are (generally) getting worse throughout the world, with old problems exacerbating and new ones emerging! If we continue on this path, I believe we are in deep trouble!
     I further believe that we may have the potential to halt and then reverse this direction, but that this cannot happen without a total turnaround, a complete transformation of how we think (or don’t think) and operate throughout the world.  This transformation will not come easily, and will not come at all unless the global public can get a true sense of what is really happening throughout the world; including how severe the situation is at the moment, and how our own inadequacies are a major part of the problem.  You cannot fix something if you aren’t seeing that it’s broken. 

   The United States is arguably the most influential nation in the world.  I believe that we in the USA could be the catalyst for this transformation.  But it won’t be our so-called leaders who do this.  Most of our high level political figures have little interest in the common good; and are much more interested in party loyalty, getting re-elected, and getting perks for their family and friends.  Not to mention that they don’t know how to communicate and collaborate.  Their idea of communication is standing up and telling the other side what’s wrong with them, or telling the public what’s wrong with the other side.  Sadly, they have little interest in sincere listening, trying to see things from the other person’s viewpoint, and then working together to find common ground. 
     Likewise, most of our large corporation leaders are more concerned with profits than with the common good.  And since our mainstream media outlets are run by these large corporations who have a huge stake in keeping the status quo, we the people are subject to a constant barrage of biased reporting of the news.  It was Mark Twain who said, “If you don’t read the newspapers you are uninformed, if you do read them you are misinformed.”

     As I see it our mainstream schools have been doing pretty much the same thing; i.e. under-informing or in fact misinforming most of our students…as well as undermining their critical thinking and communication skills, problem-solving abilities, creativity, self-esteem; and also boring them half to death.  (to cite a partial list).
     Ironically, though, whatever optimism I do have about the fate of our world is fueled by the thought of what our schools potentially could become!  As I said earlier, real change will not come from those whom we think of as our ‘leaders.’ Rather, it will come from the grassroots, and especially by a group which has heretofore been hugely underestimated – by both themselves and others.  A group which has tremendous leadership potential but is only just beginning to realize it – our youth!
    Easier said than done, eh?  That’s surely true if our thinking stays stuck inside the narrow box that most of us are currently confined to; but young people in particular are much more capable of thinking outside the box, so there is hope. 
    So here, finally, is my question to myself: “What can I do that will most effectively help facilitate a transformation in public (mainstream) education into a system which fosters community in all schools; which honors the voices of all staff members, parents, and definitely students; which allows for a meaningful and relevant curriculum; is committed to meeting the needs and (usually) the wants of every student; which helps our young people grow holistically, not just academically: and which will be a great resource to help us find answers to all the problems that are plaguing our individual selves, our families and communities, our nation, and our world?”

… The most important points about my own education through high school were that: (1) I graduated as a so-called outstanding student and yet had no real self-confidence, little sense of resourcefulness, and I underestimated my capabilities; and (2) I had been sheltered from truth, about myself and who I was and what kind of potential I had; and also about the world I was living in.  In some ways truth had been omitted; in some ways it had been altered.
     These realities, along with my strong sense of justice and fairness, are the real ‘further back’ story for me.  The ‘not as far back’ stories are related to my college experience, my experience ‘in between’ college, and my experience after college, including especially what I learned when I became a teacher. 
     In college I saw hypocrisy.  I also saw the futility of reading ‘the great books’ when I didn’t have enough life experience to be able to truly appreciate them.  The hypocrisy showed itself when I realized that most of my classmates had more interest in the grades they were getting than in pure learning.  Here I was at Columbia, one of the most prestigious universities in the world and supposedly a great place of learning, and most of my peers were primarily motivated by their GPA’s.  This was disillusioning and very disappointing to me.  And then, while reading the books of authors who obviously had a lot of life experience, it became fully apparent to me how little I knew about life. 
    So in the middle of my sophomore year I quit school.  I took $90 for a 90 day excursion, and hitchhiked up and down the East Coast.  I learned so much more on that trip than I ever had in school – life-changing stuff.  I’ll tell you about the most profound one, because this learning has informed the basis of much of my life’s work.  When I left college and began my hitchhiking jaunt I was very confused and angry.  I was so open-minded that I was close-minded; if you didn’t agree with me you were stupid or bad.  I was especially angry about racism, and I usually didn’t stay quiet when somebody said something ‘wrong.’  So one night I’m hitchhiking in Georgia, heading further South.  It’s late, and I’m tired, and I cannot afford to get into another argument and have to ask somebody to pull over and let me out of his ‘@#$%^*#’ car.  So I told myself, “When someone pulls over, get into the car and keep your ‘effing’ mouth shut.  You need a ride, not an argument.”  So this middle-aged white man picks me up, and within the first couple minutes he uses the N-word.  But I kept quiet.  I drove with that man for about six hours, down to around Daytona Beach, and we had an incredible conversation.  He turned out to be a good-hearted and very fine person.  When we got to his exit he said, “This is where I get off.  I’ll leave you here if you want, but it may be hard for you to get a ride at this hour (4:30 a.m.).  If you want to you can spend the night at my house, and I’ll bring you back to the road tomorrow.”  I accepted.  His wife got up next morning and, before my new friend drove me back to the interstate, she cooked me probably the best breakfast I have ever had!  I’ll never forget that breakfast, nor the fact that she had a dentist’s appointment to go to and had to get up extra early to cook for me. 
     I learned from that experience that people are largely products of their upbringing, and that you can’t hate people and ‘write them off’ just because they have different opinions than your own.  You have to give them – and yourself - a chance to learn new things, and hopefully many, including myself, will be able to change when they/I get new information or have new experiences.  What I learned on that trip freed me to hate racism without hating racists, hate crime without hating criminals, and hate police brutality without hating the police.  Etc.
     I decided to finish college but also decided to do so non-traditionally.  I was a very different person now, after my year and a half of college and living in New York, and my trip, and a half year of reflecting and analyzing.  My idealized view of what college is, and why people go to college, had been shattered.  I went back to college for purely pragmatic reasons.  I did just enough to get by academically, and I spent most of my time living life and traveling all over New York City.  I’d flip a coin onto the subway map and then go hang out wherever the coin landed.  I’d talk to people and observe, and try to figure out what made people who they are, and what made neighborhoods or communities what they were. 
    I loved Harlem.  Somewhat surprisingly, because all I had ever heard about it was poverty, crime, violence; yet I saw more love there than I had ever seen in any community.  After college, in fact, I worked there fulltime, very fulltime, as a streetworker (sort-of a roving social worker/counselor) with the New York Urban League’s Street Academy Program.  Geez, what a powerful time in my life!  My first day there set the stage.  I met Teddy White, a nineteen year old high school dropout and Heroin addict.  Teddy and I ‘conversated’ for four hours; he explained that he was able to do this because he had just gotten his fix and would thus be OK for a while.  We talked about how the United States was paralleling the Roman Empire and would ultimately destroy itself from within.  (I should explain that this conversation was mostly one-sided; it was mostly the teenage ‘dropout’ schooling the twenty four year old Ivy League guy.)  I knew enough about the rise and fall of the Roman Empire to know that Teddy knew what he was talking about.  BTW, I never saw him again.  That day I happened to be in a part of Harlem that I didn’t frequent, and whenever I was back in that area I never did run into him.  As I got older and realized how much he had impacted me, I would wonder whatever became of him.  I still do.  It probably wasn’t good, because hardly anybody ever gets off Heroin.  He probably ended up spending his life in prison or dying early.  It is so tragic; he was a very bright and very sensitive young man – I saw that clearly; and in a healthy society he may very well have been a happy guy who lived a long and meaningful life.
    In Harlem I saw and experienced love, spontaneity, community, creativity, joy, laughter, humor, resourcefulness, wisdom, and support in abundance; mixed in with immense pain and suffering.
   
    I had come to believe that most of Harlem’s problems, most of ‘the Black Man’s’ problems, stemmed from white racism, and especially white institutional racism.  When, early in 1968, the acutely anticipated (by some) Kerner Commission Report came out and said virtually the same thing, I really began to rethink what I was doing.  Most of you reading this, by the way, will know little if anything about the Kerner Commission; and that is both tragic and telling.  It should have been mandatory reading in every Social Studies class in the country!  Instead it disappeared!  Here’s something about it. 
    I decided to go back home to my almost completely white community to try to enlighten folks about all that I had discovered.  It didn’t take long for me to realize that I couldn’t do it via working in schools - I was quickly banned in three largely white school districts, including my own.
    I also founded SIHR, the Street Institute of Human Relations, and began to bring high school kids from the ‘white schools’ and ‘Black schools’ together to get to know each other, challenge stereotypes, and talk about how to make the world a better place.  It was a pretty darn good program; kids’ perspectives were changed for the better.  I think a few lives were significantly changed. 
     To support my work, my mom let me stay at home rent free.  Still, I needed to make money, so I worked as a substitute teacher in those districts (the largely Black ones) where my viewpoints weren’t so threatening.  In two of those districts I was asked to facilitate crisis programs with high school students.  Firstly, at Malverne High School, I spent a week with a group of fourteen both Black and White students who had been involved in racially-based arguments and fights.  At Hempstead High School I was asked to lead a three month pilot off-campus alternative program with ten students who were consistently disruptive and failing fifty two of the fifty seven courses they were taking.  Unfortunately I didn’t document much at Malverne, but in Hempstead we compiled a report.  In both places I ran democratic and extremely respectful programs, which honored the viewpoints of and celebrated the uniqueness and worthiness of every student.  Since both programs were very successful, my belief in democratic education and collaborative learning were strongly affirmed!
    But I could no longer afford to do SIHR on a pro bono level, and herein came another important aspect of my back story to education transformation.   I needed to get the program funded.  But I didn’t believe in myself and my perspective was too narrow and too negative; I looked more at the reasons why it wouldn’t work than why it probably would work.  I allowed myself to let it go to the backburner and operate as only a part-time program while I went out and found a ‘real job’, with a steady salary and benefits.  (Now this was before I had kids, or even a wife, so there was no real need for me to be operating out of this negativity and fear.) 
    To give this (as a fulltime program) up without even trying to get funded and make it work was a big mistake, probably a HUGE mistake!  This was a very effective program that our society desperately needed; and it was simple, inexpensive, and easily replicated.  Who knows how far it may have spread, how many people may have been positively impacted, how many lives may have been saved if S.I.H.R. had operated on a fulltime basis these past forty plus years!?

    As I realized many years later, my lack of resourcefulness and confidence, my willingness to push a great idea into the background without even trying to get it funded, was (not entirely but) in large part due to what I learned and didn’t learn in thirteen years of traditional public schooling. 
    What I should have learned in school was something like this: ‘Do what you love; do what you believe in.  Go for what moves you.  Be persistent.  Don’t give up.  If you believe in something be relentless in making it happen.  Find people to complement your weak areas.  When it comes to funding, you don’t need for society at large to agree with you; you only need one or a few ‘well-off’ people to believe in your program. You are good enough; you are qualified!  Your vision, commitment, and passion will attract other like-minded people, resources will emerge, and you almost surely will be able to make it work.  At least give it a try.  It can’t work if you don’t even try.  If it doesn’t succeed it doesn’t mean that you are a failure; in the attempt alone there is success.  ‘Failing’ is nothing to be ashamed of; part of being human is being imperfect; sometimes things work in your favor and sometimes they don’t.  If it doesn’t work then you congratulate yourself for trying, you learn your lessons; and you move on, a smarter and wiser person!’

     Look, I am not shirking my responsibility here. I fully acknowledge that this was mostly on me; I was the one who made the decision.  But I do believe, in looking at this from all angles, that a more positive and holistic schooling experience may very well have helped me develop into the kind of confident, resourceful person who would have gone full force with SIHR and made it work.  Maybe my schooling would have helped me become better organized and more disciplined; but if not, I would have known to go out and find someone/s who was skilled in my areas of weakness, who was in fact organized and disciplined, and who shared my passion for this program; and I would have partnered with him or her or them!

   So on a part-time basis I have continued to run SIHR (which morphed into It Is Time in 1997) for more than four decades.  It has had a positive effect!  But had it operated as a funded and fulltime program all these years, many more lives would have been impacted!

    The best fit as a ‘real job’ for me was in education, though it couldn’t be in a mostly white school because I was too radical for them.  (At least that’s how they saw or would see it.  My take would be that I was too interested in introducing students to a wide range of perspectives about life and learning.  Then again, I guess those are not contradictory perspectives; looking at life and learning from a wide spectrum of angles was then and still is a radical notion for American society.)

    Anyway, the final piece of my back story is in what I have seen in four decades of experience in schools: the damage that I have seen done to most young people – and society - via traditional education; and the excitement, enlightenment, and empowerment I have witnessed in the large majority of young people who have participated in non-traditional schooling, especially democratic education.
    Most democratically educated students become empowered, resourceful, confident; they know how to communicate, collaborate, and problem-solve; and they know how to live in harmony with others.  Isn’t that the kind of people we need in this world?  Isn’t that the kind of person parents want their kids to be?
    In democratic schools, because the voices of all are honored, the curriculum is relevant and meaningful.  Students are free to play or study as they wish.  They are free to work on their own issues, and they are encouraged to learn the truth about the world they are living in – what’s going on, how to deal with today’s realities, and how to make tomorrow’s world a better one.

    Ultimately, I do believe our schools can be fixed, and I further believe that ‘If we fix the schools we can fix the world!’  So back to my research action question:

“What can I do that will most effectively help facilitate a transformation in public (mainstream) education into a system which fosters community in all schools; which honors the voices of all staff members, parents, and definitely students; which allows for a meaningful and relevant curriculum; is committed to meeting the needs and (usually) the wants of every student; which helps our young people grow holistically, not just academically: and which will be a great resource to help us find answers to all the problems that are plaguing our individual selves, our families and communities, our nation, our world?”



No comments:

Post a Comment