Thursday, October 23, 2014

Here's what the (mostly) 'white kids' wrote after reading the police brutality essays written by the students of color

In 1997, as part of the pilot program of It Is Time's Classroom Connections project, high school students from both the 'white school' and the 'students of color school' were asked to write essays about their experiences and thoughts around police brutality.  After the initial exchange of essays, and after the 'white' students had read the essays from the students of color, here is how the white students responded.

Actually, there were seventeen white students in the class, two African-American students, and one Asian.  The first two responses here are from the two 'Black' students:



I think that police brutality is a big issue for everyone. Actually, I think that police brutality is mostly confined to minorities. I think that for many white upper upper class snobs, they feel that police are just as hard on them. What a crock! These people see a cop look at them the wrong way and they feel it’s police brutality, and they now also feel that they share the same experiences as minorities. Now I’m not saying that they don’t have their share of problems, but for the most part they don’t even come close to comparing. These people have no idea what it’s like to walk down the street and have cops slow down to look you over as they drive by. They just don't realize how easy they have it.


In reading your essays the rest of my class found the personal incidences that you discussed shocking. I am the only African-American Female in this class and your tales did not take me nearly as off guard. As a result of this observation, I was made aware of the necessity for (this kind of interaction). I am not saying that peo­ple in my class/school need to have some hands-on experience with police brutal­ity, but their ignorance of events that people in their own borough experience on too regular a basis is what I found most shocking. There are major slogans and cam­paigns in the media for world peace but how can we be in search for peace when we are not even aware of the violence occurring regularly less than five miles from our homes?
“World peace can be achieved when the power of love overrides the love of power.” This sounds very cliche but the first step towards a resolution is education. More people need to hear the horror stories that many of you have experienced.



Additional Horace Mann Responses After Reading Partner School's Essays:


•        After reading several of the compositions on police brutality, the goal of this project be­came more clear to me. I believe the overall goal of what we are participating in is to be able to work together, discuss together, and argue together... When we truly think about it, we are all people, but with different backgrounds. We have let this fact work to our disadvantage instead of using it to our advantage. Different experiences offer people a new perspective on how to look at issues such as police brutality...The life that I lead is very different from that of the lives written about in the letters we read.
     This should not be the case. Our society can not survive so fractured, and with such blatant double standards. But that doesn’t mean that I can’t help to solve the problem. The goal is to be able to work together and learn from each other. It can happen if we respect each other and listen intently. ES


•        My first emotion when I read the police brutality essays was surprise. I couldn’t believe that some people were beaten when they weren’t even doing anything... Every time I read an essay I found myself whispering Jesus Christ. I used to believe that racism didn’t exist anymore, but now I realize it does.  AS


•
        I have never felt so ignorant in my life. I was enraged to hear of the occurrences in­flicted by the police force. It is absolutely ridiculous that adults, who have made a com­mitment to maintaining peace in our society, would cause pain or harass ANYONE! Such racist practices and even attitudes are unacceptable and need to be expelled from our lives. I think this would be a topic for us to talk about and attempt to propose solutions. I look forward to reading any responses and hopefully meeting sometime soon. RF


•
        When I read the letters from other schools, I didn’t believe a lot of them.  How could such atrocities exist outside of my television?  NN


•
        Some of the things I read in the essays were really shocking...It’s really unfair that po­lice can do those things without punishment, but other people go to jail for them.  Nn


•
        After reading your stories, I find that the problem of police brutality is a major problem.  I find it hard to believe that it happens so much, but after reading your papers I now think it does. One of the things that did disturb me was that in a lot of cases, you guys/ girls were in possession or doing something illegal. This fact cripples your complaints. How can you complain about brutality if you are doing something illegal? Yes, it is not right for them to do that, but if you were not doing something illegal, it may not have happened. TA


•
        In reading your essays I found myself both surprised and appalled. Though I was not so naive to think that police brutality was not a pressing issue, I had no idea that its scope was so wide that it was a relatively common occurrence... When Mr. Dennis told us some of the reactions aroused by reading our essays I was disturbed. He said that there was a sense of anger among some of you that we even write on a topic we surely know nothing about. For the most part I think that it’s true we know very little in comparison to you about police brutality. But it’s not a good practice to assume before becoming at least a bit more informed. The most important point I have to make, how­ever, is that in order to fix a problem affecting a community, all different types of peo­ple must get involved. In fact it is essential that people with different backgrounds and lives come together to find a solution.  LY


•        I find it terrible that people my own age could be brutalized by the police. I also find it upsetting that a police officer would come up to you for no reason and accuse you of stealing something. I have never experienced anything like this...Hopefully, I will never have to deal with the kind of police brutality that has affected your life.  BC


•
        As I was reading the experiences from other schools, I realized that police brutality af­fected people of all ages, all sexes, and all races in different ways and to different ex­tents. F-YF


•        I have read most of your letters, and I am shocked at the horrible things that have hap­pened to some of you. I truly never knew that things are that bad... Even if I am not necessarily beaten by the police, I feel that the system must be changed, so that no one is beaten. PC


*       One mission, left unstated, was that we should teach each other. These back and forth letters should not result in irrational accusations or stubborn defense - rather they should be forums to help each other further understand ourselves and our environ­ment ... I am asking, then, that subjects as touchy as these continue to be the basis of this stage of the program, in the hope that they will strengthen understanding and communication. I have seen where I lack experience, and hope in the future there are subjects we (at HM) are familiar with, and can help you understand.  JF

No comments:

Post a Comment